As you know the government has requested that schools reopen to children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, for the children of key workers and those considered vulnerable. However, this is not a definite decision as yet. The government will confirm if the reopening goes ahead in due course.
This week, we will ask parents in the specified year groups to indicate if their child will be returning to school. We need this information in order to assist us in our planning for reopening.
As a parent/carer it is your choice whether to send your child back to school or not.
I can advise you that:
- The safety of your child and the safety of staff will remain the priority at all times.
- Children will be in groups of no more than 15.
- Your child may not be with their normal friendship groups due to groups being smaller. They may not be in their normal classroom and may not have their normal teacher.
- Children in the group will form a ‘bubble’ with the teacher. Children will remain in their bubble for the duration of their time in school and will not mix with other groups of children or other adults. Movement around the school building will be minimal.
- We will do everything we can to ensure that children and adults from different bubbles socially distance from one another.
- Children in each bubble will not social distance from one another.
- We will limit the amount of close work children engage in and we will limit the sharing of equipment used to support learning. However, we will not completely eliminate either.
- Bubbles will have staggered lunchtimes, playtimes, toilet and hand washing breaks.
- Children will continue with the regular handwashing that was in place before the closure.
- If a child displays symptoms, they and all children and adults in their bubble will be collected from school immediately and will be asked to stay home for fourteen days.
- To ensure social distancing of families at the start and end of the day, there will be a one-way system for parents dropping children at school, one entrance will be used for entry and another entrance for exit.
- In addition, times for drop-off and pick-up will be staggered to avoid parents congregating in the playgrounds and putting themselves at risk.
- Parents who wish to speak with school staff will be asked to do so by telephone of email, rather than coming onto the school site.
- Parents who need to come onto the school site to speak with staff directly or drop-off or collect their child at times outside those specified, will be restricted to the school office.
- We cannot guarantee at this time that all children in the specified year groups will be able to attend school full time.
- We do not yet know the detail of the government’s plan that all children in all year groups will return to school before the end of the year. We will keep you informed as this part of their plan becomes develops.
- Home school activities will still be planned for all children continuing with home learning.
I am sure you will still have a number of questions. As more guidance is given to us, we will update our plans and share them with you.
We appreciate your patience as we work toward a safe opening of our school.